Thursday, June 5, 2014

Living on A Budget?

It's Garage Sale Season

Yes, it is that time of year where people open up their garage doors and allow strangers to look through their things in hopes that the effort will not only clear up the clutter in their homes but that they will make a few bucks in the process.  

And I am the hungry shopper!  I'm always looking for items, I'm not really sure what items I'm looking for, but I am looking.  Who can pass up that perfectly good Tupperware that is on the table for $1.50?  Or better yet, the coffee cup that is in perfect condition that matches the one you broke last summer.  For as long as I can remember I have loved a good garage sale!  I find shoes, clothing, and toys for my children.  I also find kitchen gadgets, craft supplies, and other neat items for myself.  

But what is a good garage sale?  
 
1.) A good garage sale has everything laid out nicely with all of the items clearly marked.  
2.) The items for sale should be clean (reasonably), especially dishes, books, clothing, and toys.  
3.) The sellers should appear friendly and welcoming (they are trying to sell things after all.) 

Some tips to keep in mind when you are shopping:
1.) Have a budget and stick to it.  If you are looking for clothing and you don't want to pay more than $2.00 an item, try to negotiate it to your price, but if they won't budge, walk away.  
2.) Don't take more cash with you than you are willing to spend.  Once you run out of cash, don't go to the ATM and get more. 
3.) Be willing to haggle a bit.  Most of the time you can ask for a lower price and get it.  Remember, these people are looking to get rid of whatever you want to buy as quickly as possible.  

Garage sales are a great opportunity to find good quality, used items for your family at a very budget friendly price and now that the season is upon us, go on and shop happy!  

***In an age where we are all concerned about our environment, it is good to remember that everything that we purchase from someone else keeps it out of our junk yards and land fills.***

Blessings to all!

I got two of these wine racks for $5.00 last week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment