Monday, June 9, 2014

Lost Meal Plan...

     I know that Sunday's can be a really busy day at the grocery store so I usually try to go on a weekday when the stores are a little less crowded so that I don't feel so rushed.  But yesterday I had to go to the grocery store because this week was starting to fill up (end of school year activities) and I didn't want to wait and then have to run out multiple times (because then I would spend more money...), so I packed up Grace and Adam and we went to Aldi.  A typical day at Aldi is kind of crazy to begin with, they don't have a "traditional" store set up so finding things can sometimes be a chore (especially if it is a limited edition item), but a Sunday in Aldi is somewhat insane.  The small store is crowded with people, children, and lots of shopping carts.  Sometimes it is hard for me to keep my head above water while I'm in there (especially when I have all four of my children with me!)  
     Yesterday was no exception.  The place was mobbed and so I took my detailed list and meal plan in with me so that I could remain focused.  Thankfully, my friend Jen went along to grocery shop for her family (she is trying out some of my meal planning tips) so she took my daughter with her so that I only had to contend with Adam (who is amazing in a store!) while I was shopping.  We made our way quickly through the store and I was checking things off of my list easily.  Thank goodness I had my list because I would have lost my mind otherwise.  The people were not overly pushy or rude, it was just so busy and I was tired, so I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for the crowd.  I was done first, so I went through the checkout and bagged my items while Jen finished her shopping.  I had my notebook on the bottom of the cart and a really nice lady reminded me to take my notebook so that I wouldn't accidentally leave it there (I would be lost without it!) so I said a grateful, "thank you", and shoved my notebook into one of my bags. Jen was just entering the checkout, so I decided to take my groceries out to the car while she was finishing up.  
    Then I hear those familiar words that we (as mom's) love to hear (not!) "I have to go potty."  Of course you do, I thought to myself.  In the last six years since my oldest has been potty trained, I have never been able to go anywhere without hearing those words.  So I put out things in the car and then we made our way back into the store so that Adam could use the restroom.  Jen was bagging her groceries so I asked Grace if she had to go too, and she nodded so I took them both (might as well get everyone out of the way, right?)  The bathroom was occupied so we waited while Jen packed her things.  Grace decided she was thirsty so she went to the drinking fountain and proceeded to get water down the front of her shirt, the bathroom never became available, and the kids were starting to scream "I have to go potty!!" as loud as they could (so then I feel everyone watching me).  Jen packed up the last of her items into her cart and I finally convinced my kids that they could hold it until we got to Walmart for our last 2 items and we hurried out to the car.  
     By the time we got to Walmart, my kids had totally forgotten that they even had to go potty (go figure) and I didn't get a shopping cart (because I only needed 2 things), we went to the deli and got our free cookies and then Jen asked me to help her find Quinoa for a recipe that she was making, and while we were looking, my two kids decided it was a good time to have a race up and down the aisle.  Now on a weekday, this wouldn't have been a problem, but because it was Sunday, it was pretty busy, so I was getting a little frazzled.  Needless to say, by the time we left the store, I was more than a little tired.  When I got home I unpacked all of my bags and reached for my notebook to check it and make sure I hadn't missed anything on my list, and when I did, I realized that my completed meal plan for the week was missing!  What was I going to do?  I had such a nice plan for week and now I would have to try to remember everything from the top of my head, and after the day I had, that wasn't going to be easy to do.  
     But then a miracle happened...my husband made dinner, a complete dinner was ready and on the table when I got home from shopping!  We sat down to dinner as a family, a nice quiet Sunday dinner, and I was able to relax.  I put my shopping woes aside and after all of the kids had a bath, I sat down with them and watched a movie.  It was a very nice, relaxing evening with my family.  
   I am not too worried that I lost my meal plan, at least I know that there is food in my house to prepare!  I know it will come back to me and I learned that I need to relax more and have faith!  Everything works out in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment