Tuesday, June 24, 2014

BBQ Turkey Sandwiches

     Today I had a great friend and her two daughters over for lunch.  It was sort of spur of the moment, and since I wasn't planning on her coming when I made my grocery list for the week, I didn't have anything special planned for lunch today.  As I got out of bed this morning, I thought about everything that I had available in my house (that wasn't spoken for) that I could make for lunch today.  I came up with BBQ turkey sandwiches.  We had turkey at a friends house on Saturday and she graciously sent all of the leftovers home with us.  I used one turkey thigh, a leg, and the meat from both wings and threw it into my crockpot (without the bones).  I turned it on and let it simmer.  I made a batch of my homemade hamburger buns and a quick Mac salad, and poof, there was lunch!  It was perfect and the best use of the food that I had in the house.  We were also able to have leftover blueberry shortcake from our church picnic, so there was nothing to waste.  
     We could easily have hopped into the car and made our way over to a restaurant to eat, but with our vacation next week, I am not willing to spend a penny outside of the budget.  So here is the recipe I used today.  

I hope you Enjoy! 


BBQ Turkey Sandwiches (Serves 8)

3 cups of leftover turkey, chicken, pork, or beef
1 cup of water or chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 1/4 cup prepared BBQ sauce

Place the meat, water and bouillon cube into the crockpot, turn on high for one hour, then turn to low.  Cook for 3-4 hours.  Shred the meat with a fork and add the BBQ sauce.  Cook for 15 minutes or until sauce is heated through.

Serve on warm rolls or floured tortillas

No comments:

Post a Comment