Sunday, June 15, 2014

Making the Most of the Meat on Hand

Sometimes even I can't believe what can be done with just one boneless chicken breast!  The other day I had chicken enchiladas on the menu; it makes a ton and there are always leftovers for lunch.  I can make this meal really inexpensively because I can make my own flour tortillas and I only need one chicken breast to fill 10 shells!  They have plenty of meat and cheese in them and I always serve them with Mexican rice so no one walks away from the table hungry!  
     Here is my tip for stretching that chicken breast (believe it or not I had enough left over to make chicken salad for TJ's lunch the next day!).  I used my crock-pot and a little bit of chicken broth.  In the morning, I put the chicken breast in my crock-pot with about 1/3 of a cup of chicken broth.  I turned it on low.  At 4 o'clock the chicken was done.  I shredded it and kept it in the crock-pot while I made the tortillas.  The slow cooking of the crock-pot added a lot of moisture to the chicken and it shreds so easily!  Not a single bite of chicken was missed!  The enchiladas were amazing as usual and I was able to feed my family a really great, filling meal, for a very low cost.

Here is how the numbers worked out

1/2 pound Chicken Breast $0.99
2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese $1.85
Tortillas approx $0.49
1 can green chilies (GV $0.88)
1 cup sour cream $0.65
2 cups Chicken Broth $0.69

Yellow Rice- $0.99

Total: 6.54

We had 3 leftover which I fed to my sister and father for lunch the following day so it ended up being $0.72 per person!  (I will post the recipe in a separate post)  

Stretching what you have in the house is one of the most important aspects of living on such a tight budget.  There is no room for waste in our house, so I try to make the most of what I can out of 1 pound of meat or less.  This way nothing ends up in the trash.

Have a wonderful and blessed Father's day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment