Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Brownie Chocolate Chip Cookies

I can't resist these cookies!  They are delicious!

 
Cold winter days need a hot cocoa and brownie cookies.  I came up with this recipe yesterday when I was totally in need of a chocolate fix and I promised my kiddos that we would make cookies. 


Already today, I have posted a beautiful recipe for stuffed French toast...check out my Staying Warm post.  But it is wintery and blistery outside today...so I thought that I would share this recipe too!  I can't resist these cookies and with kiddos playing outside, a warm wintery treat of hot cocoa with these cookies is definitely in order! 

Look at how beautiful these cookies are...they are perfect little brownie bites with yummy walnuts and chocolate chips.  The nuts are totally optional, so if you have an allergy in your house, you can omit them and they will still be delicious!

They came out so fudgy and delicious, TJ was eating them up!  He told me that I'm not allowed to make them again (he finds cookies irresistible!)  And, as far as this recipe is concerned, so do I! 

These cookies came together quickly and only take about 12 minutes in the oven.  It make about 4 dozen.  No need to chill the dough...just make and bake!


Burr!  This is literally what it looks like outside my window right now!
I hope that your family is staying warm!  Cuddle up next to a fire (or heat register, lol.) and enjoy!

Brownie Chocolate Chip Cookies (about 4 dozen)


1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. brewed coffee (optional...but brings out the delicious chocolate flavor!)
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Preheat oven to 350 and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper (optional, but helps the cookies to slide off the pan.)

1.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and butter until light and fluffy.  Add the brown sugar and white sugar and mix until well combined.  Add the egg and whip to combine.  Add the cocoa and mix well.
2.  To the mixture, add the vanilla, coffee, and the baking soda.  Mix really well to be sure that everything is incorporated evenly. 

3.  Add the flour, one cup at a time, and mix until just combined.  Be careful not to over mix.  Add the nuts and the chocolate chips and distribute evenly. 

4.  Using a tablespoon, drop cookies on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.  I was able to get 12 cookies on each cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just slightly firm.  Allow to sit on the sheet for about 2 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack. 

Dunk in milk, hot cocoa, or enjoy with your coffee!  Delicious!!!



 


1 comment: