Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Staying warm and within your budget!

Winter is definitely upon us...in fact, today we are experiencing our first real snow storm of the season.  It is days like this when I really feel like cooking and baking.  I think it's because I know that I'm not going anywhere, I'm not in a rush, and I just love how cozy a nice warm kitchen feels! 

This weekend we had some really cold days and so this Mama was cooking!  I made a delicious traditional lasagna on Saturday, a nice pork roast dinner with mashed potatoes and apricot sauce on Sunday, and for breakfast yesterday I made a delicious stuffed French toast.  My kids were in heaven! 

Here's the back story on this recipe.  About a month ago, TJ and I went to a beautiful bed and breakfast in Lyons called the Peppermint Cottage.  We went with our life-long friends to celebrate a birthday.  We go there every year and it is the perfect place to unwind (they have a hot tub and a beautiful wood burning fireplace).  It is truly one of our favorite places!  On this trip, the owner, Diane, made us a fabulous stuffed French toast.  Let me just add this little plug about how great this place is...Diane stayed up late and made fresh French bread for this recipe.  It's all in the details! 

When I got out of bed yesterday, I had already decided that I was going to make stuffed French toast for breakfast.  I had purchased an extra loaf of French bread the day before for the lasagna, so my plan was to make blueberry stuffed French toast.  A funny thing happened as I was coming down the stairs though...TJ said "I think you should make stuffed French toast today, with bananas."  Okay...now I am a firm believer in coincidence...but really?  The same thought at the same time?  Wow...it was definitely meant to be!  So I made both, blueberry and banana stuffed French toast. 

Buttery goodness! Yummy!

Making this dish was incredibly easy and very economical!  I will break down all of the prices for you so you can see that a restaurant quality meal is definitely doable on a tight budget (insert smiley face here!)

Okay, so here it is...I know these pictures have your mouth watering...so you can serve this for lunch or dinner if you want...just saying, lol!

Stuffed French Toast (Serves 6-8)

1 loaf of traditional French Bread (day old is easier to cut)
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3  cup powdered sugar
2 cut bananas (I used yellow...which is good because they are a bit firmer and easier to stuff)
1/3 cup frozen blueberries (you can use fresh too)
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tbsp. half and half
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1.  Cut the ends off of the French bread so that every slice has two flat sides.  Then cut the loaf into 12 slices , about an 1-1 1/2 inches thick.  Cut each slice down the middle, stopping before you cut through (I sliced until about 1/2 inch from the bottom.)

2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar.  Mix until smooth. 

3.  Using a knife, spread a thick layer of the cheese in the middle of each slice of prepared bread.  stuff in the fruit.  Go ahead and use your hands...it's easier.  Be careful not to split the bread in half as you're working. 

4.  Add the half and half to the eggs and whisk well.  Then add the cinnamon to eggs. 

5.  In a large skillet, coated with butter, dip the prepared stuffed bread into the eggs on both sides and grill for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the it is nice and golden brown.  I used my cast iron, which I would totally recommend if you have one...it gives the toast a nice crunchy texture! 

Look at that cheese filling...all ooey and gooey! 

For toppings we sprinkled a little bit of chopped toasted pecans, powdered sugar, and real maple syrup.  Yum Yum!! 

Okay, so let's talk cost per person. 
The most expensive ingredient was the cream cheese.

8 oz. cream cheese- $1.25
French Bread- $1.00 at Walmart
Powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla (about $.35)  total is approximate for the small amounts necessary for this recipe. 
eggs- $.50
half and half $.17
blueberries- $.40 (the whole bag was $2.29 and there is about a 1 pound in the bag.)
Bananas $.20  based on $.39/ pound
Precooked sausage- $2.00 for two packages of 10

For our family of 6, this recipe and breakfast was a total of $0.97 a person.  I served it with orange juice, which we usually only have for a treat, so my kids drank it out of wine flutes...because that is just fancy and fun! 

(I have to give credit to my wonderful and supportive husband, he helped me with the staging of this plate so that I could take these pictures!  Thanks honey!) 

I hope that you enjoy this beautiful breakfast, or lunch, or dessert...whatever you like!

Blessings to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment