Saturday, January 30, 2016

Meal Plan and Grocery List for the Week

     Oh my word...February is here!  I can't believe how mild this winter has been.  Not that I'm complaining...I really don't care for snow.  My kids, on the other hand, are bummed because they have only been able to go sledding once this year so far.  Oh well...I am just hoping that with this beautiful weather comes an even more fabulous spring! 
     Today, the sun is shining through my dining room windows, TJ is doing is homework, and I am getting ready to take my daughter to Michael's to find a car for the Pinewood Derby that her girl scout troop is going to participate in.  I am really looking forward to getting out for some reason!  I am also sitting here planning my week of meals.  I have gone back to work three days a week, which is great for our budget, but not so great for my house.  Keeping up with four kids, a husband, and a dog while working is definitely a challenge.  They go through a lot of clothes!  My washer never stops!  But I digress...back to thinking about our meals for this week.
     This is how our week is panning out...tomorrow is Sunday, therefore, we go to church and then Grace has a girl scout meeting at 2.  There is a pot luck after church tomorrow so we won't have to worry about lunch so it is breakfast and dinner, plus whatever I decide to contribute to the pot luck.  Then Monday is a crazy night...Ryan has a cub scout meeting and Ethan is visiting a local boy scout troop.  Tuesday night TJ has a meeting and won't be home for dinner, Wednesday and Thursday are open (for the moment), Friday night is the inspection and impound for the pinewood derby which is next Saturday morning.  So...since I am working on Monday's, Thursday's, and Friday's...I am trying to preplan the prep work for those nights, this way I can still cook from scratch, but it won't take me as long. 
     I am still planning two meatless meals a week.  Last week we had a beautiful eggplant parmesan on Monday night that I served with a salad, and last night I made a delicious veggie pot pie that was full of veggies and we didn't miss the meat one bit!  I think for this week, I am going to make a quiche for dinner one night, full of broccoli, onions, and cheese and for our second meatless meal, I think that I am going to go with a veggie minestrone soup.  If there is one thing that I love to make, its soup!  It is easy, delicious, inexpensive, and I can have it on the table in 30 minutes or less! 
     So here is the plan for the week:
Sunday:  Breakfast- Crockpot egg casserole (the cost of eggs has decreased significantly!)
               Lunch- Pot Luck- I am going to take Swedish meatballs
               Dinner- Roast Pork (I have it in my freezer already, when I bought it, it was $1.99/pound and it is just over 2 pounds.  The roast was a total of $4.23)
                             Twice-Baked potatoes with cauliflower, broccoli, and cheese (this is a house favorite!)
                              Fresh dinner rolls
                              Applesauce
Monday- Breakfast- Cereal, banana
                 Lunches- Packed lunches (Ham or PB&J, pretzels, cheese crackers, homemade trail mix and Juice box.)
                  My lunch is usually 1 Greek yogurt and something crunchy like pretzels.
                 Dinner- Minestrone Soup, homemade bread.
Tuesday- Breakfast- Cheese Omelets, toast
                 Lunches- Packed lunches
                 Dinner- chicken enchiladas, yellow rice
Wednesday- Breakfast- Oatmeal cinnamon muffins, banana or orange
                      Lunch- Packed Lunches
                      Dinner- Broccoli and cheese quiche, salad
Thursday- Breakfast- Leftover quiche or cereal, with fruit
                   Lunch- Packed Lunches
                   Dinner- Mini Meatloaves, au-gratin potatoes, green peas. 
Friday- Breakfast- Cereal, fruit
              Lunches- Packed Lunches
              Dinner- Shrimp Scampi ( I bought the shrimp two weeks ago on sale for $5.98 a pound...they are medium size) with Salad
Saturday- Pinewood Derby Day!
I am providing pancake bites for the snack table at the derby so I have purchase the supplies for those too. 
                  Breakfast- Blueberry Muffins, fruit
                  Lunch- Pizza (We purchase pizza at the pinewood derby)
                  Dinner- beef tips over mashed potatoes (I have two chuck steaks that I bought on sale that I am going to cut and use for this meal.) & Dijon green beans.

Grocery List-
eggs (2 18 packs)    $4.36
bread (3 loaves)      $4.17
milk (3 gallons)       $5.97
butter (2 pounds)    $5.78
deli ham- (1 pound) $4.08
potatoes (5 pounds) $1.99
frozen peas (2 pounds) $1.98
Corn meal (5 pounds)  $2.78
Bananas (5 pounds) $1.95
frozen blueberries $2.99
Vanilla Greek Yogurt (family size) $3.79
1 box dittalini pasta $1.38
1 bag of carrots $0.69
1 celery bunch $1.39
1 pkg. 12 cheese sticks $2.79
1 16 oz. sour cream $1.28
yellow rice -$.98

Total for the week- approximately $48.35

If you notice, there is no meat on this list...I am pretty well stocked at this point.  I also have a pretty stocked pantry so my list is small. 

What's on your menu this week? 





           

No comments:

Post a Comment