Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Weekly Menu and Shopping Trip

Well, this summer seems to be flying by and I have been behind the eight ball which is completely normal for me.  I am always behind, especially when the kids are home...four little people can definitely derail my plans very easily. 
 
So, now that we are back from our vacation, and everything is slowing down as we get ready to start school, I can get back to the things that I love to do!
I have to be honest, I have not been doing much meal planning and my grocery bill has been paying the price.  I am guilty of eating out because of my lack of planning, and that is something that I hate doing because I can't stand it when my kids eat food filled with chemicals and preservatives. 
What can I say, I was tired! 
It feels good to be back to my old self again! 
In the last few days, I have spent time on Pinterest.  I am learning new tips and researching new meal ideas.  I have also been following some blogs and reading about other frugal families.  
I have so many ideas to share with you!  I can't wait to get started!   
 For my first real post of the year, I have decided to give you a run down of our meal plan for the week and my trip to the grocery store. 
 
Here's a little run down of our week...
Tuesday (tonight)- my husband is at a meeting for church so its just me and the kiddos.  No big deal!  The kids love pizza so for tonight, it's homemade pizza. 
 
Wednesday- Chicken Enchiladas. (Check out my great recipe!)
 
 Thursday- My dad is coming for dinner and I had a steak in the freezer, so that is the plan for dinner.  Steak, corn on the cob, potato salad, and rolls. 
 
Friday- It's the first night of camping and with setting up the camper and camp site there won't be time for an elaborate dinner.  We are serving hot dogs, potato chips, and watermelon. 
 
Saturday- 2nd night of camping- We are going to have a nice simple dinner of Italian sausage with peppers and onions, macaroni salad, and more corn on the cob (tis the season!) 
 
Sunday- We're back home so I have planned a spinach and artichoke macaroni & cheese.  I can set this up on Friday before we leave and it will just need to go in the oven when we get back on Sunday.  It will be great!
 
Monday- I have someone coming over to the house to show me some new cleaning products and I don't want to be cooking while she's here, so I am using my crock pot and making my family their first pot roast of the year! (Chuck roast has been very expensive and now it's on sale for $4.69 a pound at Wegman's when you purchase a family pack.)  To go with the pot roast, we are also having mashed potatoes, green beans, and homemade dinner rolls. 
 
Tuesday- Crock Pot Meal #2 for the week.  Thank you Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes for your recipe idea!  I am going to make your Chicken and Dumplings with my own homemade biscuits.  I am serving it with Sweet potatoes and peas.  I can't wait to try it!
 
Wednesday- Crockpot Meal #3 for the week with a creamy ranch pork roast, roasted potatoes and broccoli.  I am making my homemade cornbread as a side. 
 
Thursday- We are taking dinner to a friends house.  Tonight it is going to be BBQ chicken thighs and drumsticks, twice baked potatoes, and a cucumber and tomato salad. 
 
Friday- It's my birthday and honestly after a two weeks of cooking I am sure I will be ready for a night on the town with my family. 
 
Grocery List for the week:
5# bag of potatoes (2.49 @ Wegman's)
Frozen cut green beans, broccoli florets, spinach, and peas ($0.99 each)
grape tomatoes (2 pounds for $3.99 @ Wegman's)
cucumbers (3 pk. for $3.49)
green peppers (6 pk. for $3.99)
Corn on the Cob (fresh from the farm stand)
bananas   ($0.49 per pound @ Wegman's)                                                                            
watermelon (In season)
peaches (In season) ($3.99 for a qt. @ Wegman's)
Apples (8 pounds for $6.99 @ Wegman's)
5# bag of flour ($1.55 @ Aldi)
4# bag of sugar ($2.15 @ Aldi)
1 family pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts ($1.99/ pound @ Wegman's FP)
1 family pack of mild Italian sausage ($2.79/ pound @ Wegman's FP)
1 family pack of chuck roast ($4.69/ pound @ Wegman's FP)
1 pound of bacon ($2.99/ pound @ Aldi)
3 boxes of frozen cooked breakfast sausage ($1.09 ea. @ Aldi)
1 block of white cheddar cheese ($1.59 @ Aldi)
1 block of Monterey Jack Cheese ($1.59 @ Aldi)
1 pound of mozzarella cheese (shredded) ($2.99 @ Aldi)
1 pound of mild cheddar cheese (shredded) ($2.99 @ Aldi)
1 package 16 slice American cheese slices ($1.79 @ Aldi)
3 Gallons of milk ($2.18 each @ Wegman's)
3 pounds of butter ($2.89 each @ Aldi)
1 tub of whipped butter (for camping) ($1.99 @ Aldi)
1 qt. half and half ($1.89 @ Aldi)
2 bottles of Italian Sweet Cream coffee creamer ($2.19 ea. @ Aldi)
4 boxes of cereal ($1.59-$2.29 ea. @ Aldi)
2 18 packs of eggs ($7.99 for 2 pk. @ Wegman's)
1 pound of ham (deli) ($4.99/ pound @ Wegman's)
1 pound of turkey (deli) ($5.49/ pound @ Wegman's)
1 pound of shell pasta ($1.19 ea. @ Wegman's)
4 cans of navy beans (pot luck church picnic) ($0.99 ea. @ Wegman's)
1 bottle pure maple syrup (for baked beans) ($4.99 @ Aldi)
1 package of real bacon bits (for baked beans) ($1.29 @ Aldi)
3 sweet potatoes ($1.49/ pound @ Wegman's)
Chips (for camping) (3 bags for $1.19 ea. @ Aldi)
Chocolate bars (camping) (6 pk. for $3,49 @ Wegman's)
marshmallows (camping) ($0.99 ea. @ Wegman's)
1 large can of coffee ($5.49 @ Aldi)
1 small bag of French Vanilla ground coffee (a weakness of mine!) ($4.99 @ Aldi)
flour tortillas  ($2.49 for FP @ Wegman's)
ranch seasoning packet ($0.59 @ Aldi)
2 loaves of 12 grain bread ($0.89 ea. on sale at Aldi today only!)
2 loaves of whole grain white bread ($0.99 ea. @ Aldi)
1 loaf of rye bread ($1.49 ea. @ Aldi)
pepperoni ($1.99 ea. @ Aldi)
 
What I have in the house already-                            Breakfast for the week-
1 jar of artichoke hearts                                            Cereal
chicken drumsticks and thighs                             egg, sausage, & cheese burritos
2 pound pork roast                                                    Oatmeal bakes
hot dogs                                                                    pancakes
hot dog rolls                                                              fruit
celery                     
corn meal                                                                 Lunches-
onions                                                                      P,B, &J sandwiches
yellow rice                                                                ham and turkey sandwiches
sour cream                                                               grilled cheese sandwiches
                                                                                 fruit                                                                                   leftovers
What I spent- $96.65 @ Aldi
                      $ 122.24 @ Wegman's
                         $218.89
                                                                               Snacks-
                                                                                 Apples, bananas, peaches
                                                                                 Applesauce
                                                                                 Graham Crackers w/ PB
                                                                                 Cheese Crackers
                                                                                 Cheese Sticks
                                                                                  chocolate animal crackers
 
Although it seems as though I have gone over my budget of $100/ week, I actually spent less.  The family packs of meat that I purchased are going to last about 3 weeks.  Therefore, I can split their cost by 1/3.  In addition, I purchased a few items that were not on the list, but I knew that I was running low on.  An example would be the tub of shortening that I bought.  Overall, the total was approximately $189.89.  When divided by 2, I came in under budget at $94.94 per week.  I consider that a success! 
 
Please feel free to share your menu for the week.  I would love to know more about you, your budget, and your tips and ideas for saving money! 
 
Blessings to All!
Kim
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment