Friday, August 21, 2015

Meal Planning Short Cut

Yesterday, while I was researching for today's post, I came across a very interesting and enlightening meal planning idea.  This idea is not new to me, but it came to me in a way that helped me to recognize that not everyone has the time and opportunity to meal plan the same way that I do.  I love to research and try new recipes as well as look through Pinterest and magazines with clear, beautiful pictures of what the recipe should look like when it's made.  This takes time, and since I enjoy it, I don't mind spending it.  Not everyone is like me though.  Some people are working parents who don't have time to look and find new recipes, (although I do hope some busy people are reading this right now!) 

Okay, so here it is, a very simple approach to meal planning that I hope can help you on your journey to saving both time and money!

If you go to my meal planning page and you look at the meal plan guideline that I use while meal planning, you will notice that step #2 is to have a list of meals that your family normally eats (and most likely likes to eat) ready when you sit down.  Usually, when I make my list of meals for the week, I have about ten or twelve of these recipes.  I chose at least 3 for the week and then I recycle the rest of the meals on that list throughout the month.  My husband is very picky and is insistent that we don't eat anything two weeks in a row, so it is very rare that I repeat a recipe during the month.  As a result, I make 25-30 different meals a month.  This may seem like a lot, but it is actually very easy for me because I have a large recipe collection that I can choose from. 

Once I thought about it though, I realized that I can remember 25-30 meals that my family loves, right off the top of my head!  I don't have to go to the magazines or cookbooks, or Pinterest to come up with recipe ideas (if I don't want to!)  All I have to do is sit down and write out a list of meals that my family eats on a regular basis and then fill in a calendar with those recipes.  Now I have an entire month of meal planning done in just 15 minutes!  Some families have regular meals that they eat on a weekly basis.  If yours is one of those families, the task is even easier!  For example, if your family eats spaghetti once a week than all you have to do is fill in spaghetti once for every week on the calendar.  It couldn't be easier! 

Here is a list of our families "go" to meals:

Spaghetti and Italian sausage or meatballs
Tacos
Mini Meatloaves
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Roasted Chicken
Hot Dogs and Hamburgers
Sloppy Joes
Chicken Fried Rice
Chicken and Rice Casserole
Macaroni and Cheese
Chicken Pot Pie
Pot Roast
Chicken Noodle Casserole
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chili
Taco Soup
Enchilada's (chicken and beef)
Sub Sandwiches
BLT's
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Homemade Pizza
Italian Sausage w/peppers and onions
Bratwurst
Garlic Spaghetti with Chicken
Lasagna
Beef and Broccoli over rice (with ground beef)
Southwest Chicken Salad
Quesadillas
Roasted Ham Dinner
Roasted Turkey Breast

These are 30 "go to" dinners that I can make easier and they would fill up a calendar quickly with no repeats!  Meal planning couldn't be easier than this! 

Give this a try and share how it turned out for you. 

What are your families favorite "go to" dinners?  Please feel free to share!  We would love hear from you!

Blessings to All!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment